Friday, November 9, 2012

The Goodwill Desk

I had been looking for a desk for my son who is in 3rd grade because we all know that homework on the kitchen table is fun until it is time for dinner then it all has to be put up. One night my kids and I made a quick trip to the Goodwill by our house and I found this desk.  It was old and beat up but my son liked it.  I saw the price WOW $30,  it was solid oak how could I pass this up. 


The next day I decided to strip the old stain and varnish off of it.  Yeah it took a while but once I got to the bare wood I knew what a good piece this was. 


I decided to try something new and got some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in the color Graphite


So after a the first coat of chalk paint I was sold.  This paint is awesome a little bit goes a long way.  After 3 coats of chalk paint here is the product.
I then realized that I needed to put a good protective coat on top of the chalk paint.  I decided against the suggested wax and went with Minwax Wipe On Poly instead.  I did some research on the product and saw that other bloggers had used the wipe on poly on chalk paint. 

After about 6 coats of wipe on poly here is the finished Desk.  I distressed the desk in common areas that I knew probably would wear. 


I hope you all enjoyed this redo.  There will be many more to come. 

Thanks,

Rene 


No comments:

Post a Comment